Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Tuesday meeting = more eye candy

It's been a couple of quilt & fabric-filled days!

Monday's DOQ guild meeting involved a presentation by Kevin Womack on shibori fabric dyeing.  Wow, did he have some beautiful samples to show. Ruth - you would have LOVED this talk. I kept thinking how sorry I was she missed it.  I took a lot of notes because I suspect many of us will be itching to try out this technique at our next dye party.  I was too busy drooling over the fabric to take pictures. And yes, some fabric came home with me which may turn out to be the background for a new art quilt...

Tuesday we had the NT evening meeting at the library. Usually we meet at the end of the month but due to availability issues for the meeting space, we held it early.  Despite meeting this past Saturday, we still all managed to have new things to show!

It's a short meeting but we all managed to make a little headway on our projects. Here's what we were working on:


Joy brought her huge (and hugely awesome) crumb quilt. As you can see we have a lot of room to spread out.  :)   The crumb quilt has been a top for a couple of years and it's time to forge ahead and get it quilted and on the bed. During the meeting Joy finalized her a plan for a scrappy back. It will be a terrific quilt - one with lots of memories already in it as some of the scraps come from previous projects and friends' fabric leftovers.


Here's a bit of detail (don't forget you can click on the photos to enlarge)


Joy also brought two completed baby quilts. The mother requested the colors and Joy came through for her with very lovely and calming quilts. She was just working out one last detail - the addition of the babies' initials.


Carol - who stated there would be no more hand quilting in her future after she finished her UNC quilt was...wait for it.... hand quilting a new project! LOL  She decided she needed a new project to keep her hands busy during football game watching.  Her halloween quilt is the perfect solution.


Isn't it cute?


Margaret was working on a beautiful batik project - love these colors! At the rate she gets things done it may even be a completed top by the time the next monthly meeting rolls around. If not, it will be worth the wait!

I have some fabrics in similar colors set aside to be a quilt and this had me itching to get started on it.  But for now I'm being good and working on projects with a bit more pressing deadlines...


such as a quilt for a soon-to-arrive niece! This is from a pattern by Amanda Murphy, with a few changes. Hmm, have I EVER managed to follow a pattern without tweaking it? I doubt it. None of this is sewn together yet and I have a few more scrappy triangles to make, but I got a start on cutting out the background fabric.

That's all the news for now.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh...my...goodness!! What a productive group we are!!! ...at least some of us. I feel like a sloth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not you Candy! I bet you spent time yesterday working on a donation quilt. :)

      Delete
  2. Cool!!! An update from a meeting that I didn't have to write! :o))

    Awesome phone photos, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small meetings are about all the write-up I can handle, LOL. Thanks for doing the Saturday meeting!

      Delete
  3. Wow, beautiful stuff! I love being able to see what you all are working on. Margaret, what's the name of that pattern? I really like it.

    ReplyDelete