Sunday, February 15, 2015

{Nimble Thimbles in the Wild...er... at the} DOQ Donation Sew-In

A few Nimble Thimbles members spent part of Valentines Day showing the love ...by making donations quilts!  Joy, Ruth B., Ruth S,.Jean, Sarah (who some of us hadn't seen in ages!) and myself (Britt) had a good day at the Durham Orange Quilt guild sew day.  Here is the Nimble Thimbles section of the room:






We set up first two, then three tables to comfortably accommodate our little group.  Sarah was set up at the other end of the room (near the design wall) at her own private work station:




And not only were we productive but we got in our exercise, lol!  We were in a big space so it was a long haul to the ironing and cutting tables.  Not to mention all the table set up and take down required.  But it was a good excuse to stretch our legs and chat with the other quilt guild members.


Pressing stations

Cutting stations (followed by the fabric selection table and on to the design wall.)


We sewed from about 9:30 to 3 with a stop of a yummy potluck lunch.  The day truly flew by. We had so much fun!

Ruth B. started a new donation quilt which is going to be bright and cheery.  Ruth S. made progress on a nice green quilt and was able to come up with a backing and Jean was making Snoodles for preemies.  Joy sewed like gangbusters and got ALL TWELVE of the blocks done on her donation quilt featuring a Strawberry Shortcake print.  It's turning out VERY cute!!


Ruth B.'s quilt will look something like this. Several people added blocks as the day went on.  It was fun to look up and see how the quilt had grown!

This photo shows Joy's blocks along with the backing and binding that she chose.
 !Hopefully Joy can add a few photos (DONE!) - and if anyone has other pics to include let me know


These are a couple of projects that some other DOQ members were working on:


A baby quilt that Karen W. enlarged for a teen.  Great idea!

Here is the work station that she set up to finish the quilt quickly.

Disappearing 9-Patch Soldier Quilt that Peggy Y. was working on.

I do have photos of what I was working on (taken afterwards).  First up I had previously quilted a quilt destined to be donated and brought it along thinking I would add the binding. Well...I got the binding made but realized I needed a bit more space to actually attach the binding TO the quilt if I wanted to avoid sweeping everyone else's projects off the table!  I finished the binding later in the evening once I returned home.

This quilt was a do it yourself jelly roll race - meaning I chose to use up fabric strips I had on hand.  I added squares randomly for a bit of extra interest.  Then I decided I liked the strips running vertically instead of the usual horizontal.  WHY???  Maybe because I like to make my life more difficult? LOL - this meant I had to add on to the ends of the quilt...and in such a way as to hide that fact. I think I succeeded for the most part.   And last but not least I thought it needed a few stars for some extra color.  Here are a few pictures:








I free motion quilted it with a freehand wave echoed across the quilt. This was SO easy to do!! Or I should say this was really easy for ME to do because I did not sweat the little bobbles here and there and I was fine with some variation in the width of the lines. And I think it gave a nice softness to all the straight lines.

Even though I couldn't get as far as I wanted the first quilt I had plenty to do.  I'd brought some fabrics Sarah pulled for me a while ago from her large stash of donated fabric.  I had plans to make a "strippy" quilt with them.  Just simple strips of varying widths to make a cute kids quilt.  And as luck would have it a DOQ member walked in with a bag full of fabric to donate and it included the perfect orange fabric for the quilt! Have a peek at the quilt top - it will be bound in orange once I get it quilted.


Thanks to Jean for encouraging the use of the orange and to Joy for the suggestion to end with blue. Quilting friends are awesome!

Somehow I came home with more than I brought...I volunteered to quilt a couple of donated quilt tops made by other DOQ members.  Thankfully, they are small and should go quickly!

Here's hoping your Valentine's Day include time with friends and loved ones...AND your sewing machine!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment